Financial Aid FAQs

If you have additional questions, please contact us.

Who is Eligible For Financial Aid?

All students in need of financial assistance or interested in scholarships are encouraged to apply.  For federal programs, you must:

  • Enroll in an eligible program of study leading to a degree, diploma, or certificate.
  • Be a U.S. citizen or an eligible noncitizen.
  • Have a high school diploma, GED or homeschooling at the secondary level.
  • Not be in default on any loan previously received from any college nor owe an over payment of Title IV funds.
  • Be registered with Selective Service if required to do so.
  • Demonstrate financial need (except for unsubsidized Stafford and PLUS loans).
  • Maintain the standards of satisfactory academic progress.
  • Sign a Statement of Educational Purpose promising that any aid received will be used for costs of attendance at Northeast Community College.

How can drug convictions affect Financial Aid?

By law, some students who have drug-related convictions under any federal or state law during a period of enrollment for which the student was receiving Title IV aid (grants, loans, or work-study assistance) may be ineligible for federal student aid. According to the law, if you are convicted of a drug-related offense, you may face these restrictions:

  1. For possession of illegal drugs, you are ineligible from the date of conviction (not arrest) for
    • One year for a first offense
    • Two years for a second offense
    • Indefinitely for a third offense
  2. For sale of illegal drugs, you are ineligible from the date of conviction (not arrest) for:
    • Two years for a first offense
    • Indefinitely for a second offense

Notice to Students Concerning Penalties for Drug Violations

Any student who has lost eligibility for federal Title IV funds including grants, loans, or work-study assistance, as a result of penalties under 484(r) (1), will receive a separate, clear, and conspicuous written notice. This notice will notify the student of the loss of eligibility and advise the student of the ways to regain eligibility under 484 (r) (2) of the HEA.

Regaining Eligibility after a Drug Conviction

A student whose eligibility has been suspended may resume eligibility before the end of the stated ineligibility period if either (a) the student satisfactorily completes a drug rehabilitation program and passes two unannounced drug tests, or (b) the conviction is reversed, set aside, or removed from the student’s record.

Effective July 1, 2010, the HEOA adds a new provision at section 484(r) (2) (B) of the HEA that allows a student whose eligibility has been suspended due to a drug conviction to resume eligibility if the student successfully passes two unannounced drug tests conducted by a drug rehabilitation program that complies with criteria established by the Secretary of Education. Students must provide documentation of this completion to the Financial Aid Office.

How do I apply for Financial Aid at Northeast Community College?

The first step in applying for financial aid is completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This may be done as early as January 1 after your tax returns are complete. Students are awarded on a first-completed, first-awarded basis, which means that early application is necessary if you wish to be considered for all possible types of aid.

You will need the following information before applying for Financial Aid for the 2015-2016 school year including Summer 2016:

  • 2014 Federal Tax Returns and W2’s
  • Statements showing the amount you received in 2014 for untaxed income such as child support.
  • A FSA username and password. This will be used to electronically sign your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  Both you and one parent, if you are a dependent student, will need a FSA username and password. You can obtain them at

Next, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  You can do this several different ways:
Option A (Preferred) –

  • Print and complete a FAFSA on the Web Worksheet found on the web site.
  • As soon after January 1, 2015, as possible, file your 2015-2016 FAFSA on the web: The Northeast code is 002556.
  • Be sure you and your parent (if you are a dependent student) sign your FAFSA using separate usernames and passwords (without completed signatures, your FAFSA will reject.) or print the signature page and send the completed form to the Central Processing Center. Use the IRS Data Retrieval when submitting your tax information online. Allow two weeks after electronically filing your tax forms. If you tax return has not been processed you must enter all information manually.
  • Additional documentation may be required when Northeast receives your FAFSA information electronically; corrections could delay the award process.

Option B – If you do not have access to the internet, send the following to the Northeast Financial Aid Office for verification; your FAFSA will be submitted electronically by Northeast Community College:

  • 2015-2016 Paper Renewal FAFSA or Paper FAFSA
  • 2015-2016 Verification Worksheet
  • 2014 tax transcript and W2’s
  • Parents’ or spouse’s 2014 tax transcript and W2’s
  • 2014 year-end documentation of child support paid.
  • Other documentation as requested by the Financial Aid office

How do I get a Tax Return Transcript from the IRS?

Tax transcripts can be obtained online from the IRS at, which is the preferred method. You may also request a tax transcript by phone at 1-800-908-9946.

If you have been granted a filing extension, filed an amended tax return, were a victim IRS identity theft, filed a Non-IRS Tax return or are a non-filer who must provide verification, please see the information below.

Individuals Granted a Filing Extension by the IRS:

You must obtain a copy of IRS Form 4868 “Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return” that was filed with the IRS for the appropriate tax year; A copy of the IRS’s approval of an extension beyond the automatic six-month extension if the individual requested an additional extension of the filing time; and a copy of IRS Form W-2 for each source of employment income received. If self-employed, you must submit a signed statement certifying the amount of the individual’s Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) and U.S. income tax paid for the tax year.

Individuals Who Filed an Amended IRS Income Tax Return:

You must provide a signed copy of the original IRS income tax return that was filed with the IRS or the IRS Tax Return Transcript; and a signed copy of the IRS Form 1040X, “Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return”, that was filed with the IRS.

Individuals Who Were Victims of IRS Identity Theft:

Tax filers who are denied an IRS Tax Return Transcript using one of the regular request processes due to IRS identity theft will be referred to the Identity Protection Specialized Unit (IPSU) toll-free number at 1-800-908-4490. Tax filers who believe they are victims of identity theft do not need to be referred to the IPSU; they may call the number directly or go to the IRS identity theft website at After the IPSU authenticates the tax filer's identify, the tax filer can request that the IRS mail to the tax filer an alternate tax return transcript known as the TRDBV (Transcript DataBase View).

Individuals Who Filed Non-IRS Income Tax Returns:

An individual, who filed or will file a tax return with Puerto Rico, another U.S. territory, or with a foreign country, must provide a signed copy of the income tax return(s).

Individuals Required to Obtain a Non-Filing Letter:

A non-filing letter can be obtained online from the IRS at After logging in, select the reason for getting a transcript-“High Education/Student Aid. Click on the correct tax year under “Verification of Non-Filing Letter”. Print the letter and submit to the Financial Aid Office. Non-filer verification forms dated prior to June 15, 2014 will need to be updated.

What happens after my FAFSA is complete?

When your financial aid information is filed, a federal formula is applied to determine how much you and your family should be able to contribute toward your college costs.  The Student Aid Report (SAR) from the Central Processor reflects the information submitted and will allow the college to determine your eligibility for all types of aid.
Check your SAR for errors, giving special attention to items the Processing Center may be questioning.  You can make changes to your FAFSA electronically, if necessary.  Otherwise, if you received a paper SAR, enter the changes on Part 2, sign and forward all pages of the SAR to the Financial Aid Office at Northeast Community College.  The Northeast Financial Aid Office will reprocess any corrections.  DO NOT mail the SAR or other documents to the Central Processing Center.

How is my family's contribution determined?

The factors that determine a family's ability to contribute to college costs are: student and parent income and assets, total number of family members, number of family members attending college (excluding parents), age of older parent, and state of residence.  The computation allows for necessary family expenditures such as taxes, reasonable living costs, and usual medical expenses, and protects a portion of a family's assets as a retirement allowance depending on age of older parent.  A part of the remaining income and assets is assumed to be available for college expenses.

How is my financial aid determined?

In accordance with federal regulations, the following formula is used to determine your financial need:
  Estimated Cost of Attendance (COA) (NOT your bill)
- Expected Family Contribution (EFC) (NOT the amount you have to pay Northeast)
  =Financial Need
The Financial Aid Staff will try to fill any need by awarding various types of aid.  The Pell Grant is determined first, and then scholarships are added to the aid package. If funds are still available, you will be considered for supplemental grants and Federal Work-Study. Federal Direct Loans are added last.  All financial aid is split between the fall and spring semesters.

Outside scholarships of $100 or more will be split between the two semesters unless otherwise stated by the donor.

The combination of federal state aid, institutional scholarships and outside assistance cannot exceed a Students Estimated Cost of Attendance. Aid will be adjusted accordingly.

  • When a correct summary from the FAFSA processor is received electronically in the Northeast Financial Aid Office and we have received all required forms and documentation, an award notification will be emailed to your personal email address on file.
    • If no personal email address exists, the notification will be sent to your FAFSA email address on file.
  • The award notification will include directions to your 'My Northeast' account.
  • Any grant funds awarded will already show as accepted.
  • If you make the decision to accept student loans, you must accept via your 'My Northeast' account.  See Loan FAQ's for loan processing information.  Each student borrower must complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Loan Entrance Counseling when borrowing for the first time at Northeast.
  • Aid offers may be modified if the student is not enrolled full-time on the tenth day of classes .  No adjustments will be made after that date unless the student receives additional outside aid, does not begin attending all classes for which he or she is registered, or ceases attendance in some or all classes during the 100% refund period.  Student status is determined as follows:
  • Full time (FT): 12 or more credits attempted per semester
  • Three-quarter time (TT): 9-11 credits attempted per semester
  • Half time (HT): 6-8 credits attempted per semester
  • Less than half time (LTHT): 5 or fewer credits attempted per semester
All awards on your 'My Northeast' account will show as a full-time student; however, the disbursed aid will be prorated based upon your enrollment status.

How and when do I receive my financial aid?

All grants, scholarships, tuition waivers, and loans are credited to your student account with the Accounts Receivable Services on a semester-by-semester basis.  After all Northeast costs for the semester have been paid from your account, a refund check will be mailed approximately fourteen days after the start of the term or completion of the aid process.
*Federal Work-Study wages are not credited to student accounts.  Students receive a paycheck every two weeks for actual hours worked.

What if I need more financial aid than I am awarded?

There are alternatives for students who do not qualify for grant assistance or whose families need help meeting the family contribution.
One alternative is the Federal PLUS loan.  It offers parents the opportunity to borrow up to the full cost of education (less any student financial aid) each year.  Repayment usually must begin within 60 days. Some deferment options may apply. There is no income restriction or needs test for the PLUS program.  Federal PLUS loans do require a satisfactory credit check for loan approval. Contact the Financial Aid Office for specific details.

What is a dependent student?

The basic premise of the financial aid program is that students and parents have the primary responsibility for educational expenses.  If you are a dependent student, we determine your financial need using financial information provided by both you and your parents.  If you are an independent student financial need is determined by your income and assets and, if you are married, the income and assets of your spouse.
You are considered an independent student if you can answer yes to one of the following:

  • You are 24 years of age before January 1 of the award year
  • You are married as of the day you completed the FAFSA
  • You are working on a degree beyond a bachelor's degree
  • You have children who receive more than half of their support from you
  • You have dependents (other than your children or spouse) who live with you and receive more than half of their support from you
  • You are an orphan or ward of the court
  • You are or were an emancipated minor as determined by a court in your state of legal residence
  • You are or were in legal guardianship as determined by a court in your state of legal residence
  • You are a veteran of active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces
  • If at any time on or after July 1st, 2012 your high school or school district homeless liaison determined that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless

If the above conditions do not apply to you, you are a dependent student and must use your parents' information.  If you feel that special circumstances exist, please contact the Northeast Financial Aid Office.  **Independent status is NOT determined by your wish to be financially independent of your parents nor based on your parents' un-willingness to finance your college education.

How do I renew my financial aid or apply in future years?

Financial aid is awarded on an annual basis and no aid award is renewed automatically.  You are responsible for reapplying each year.
To apply for federal and state aid, you must file a current version of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  Students renewing federal aid eligibility may complete a Renewal FAFSA online.
Students who receive aid from a private agency or donor are responsible for completing any renewal documents the agency or donor may require.

Does my financial aid transfer from another school?

If you have already done a FAFSA for the current school year, you do not need to complete another one, you just need to add Northeast Community College to the list of schools on your FAFSA.  (Northeast's Federal School Code is 002556.)  If you did your FAFSA on paper and received a Student Aid Report (SAR), it can be submitted to the Northeast Financial Aid Office along with the verification worksheet,  tax transcripts and W2’s. Contact the Financial Aid office for more information. You must cancel your financial aid at your other school and you will be re-awarded at Northeast.

What is Northeast Community College's Title IV Code?

The Title IV Code is 002556.

2015-2016 EducationQuest FAFSA Demo

More Information:
Financial Aid Office
(402) 844-7285