Forty years ago, the college that area residents know
today as Northeast Community College began
serving a 20-county region in Northeast Nebraska.
Northeastern Nebraska College and Northeast
Nebraska Technical College merged July 1, 1973.
Although the 40th Anniversary marks the milestone
of the merger, the roots of Northeast Community
College actually have their beginning earlier in the
Norfolk Junior College was established as part of the
Norfolk Public School System in September 1928.
Nearly 40 years later, in July 1968, Norfolk Junior
College separated from the public school system and
became known as Northeastern Nebraska College the
In August 1965, the Nebraska Legislature adopted
legislation that would allow voters in counties
surrounding Norfolk to create a 14-county
technical college region and Northeast Nebraska
Vocational Technical School. Four years and a
name change later, the College began conducting
classes in temporary facilities. Northeast Nebraska
Technical College (NNTC) opened its doors at 801
East Benjamin Avenue in June 1971.
In November 1972, Northeast’s region was expanded
to the 20 counties of northeast Nebraska. The
following July, Northeastern Nebraska College and
NNTC merged as Northeast Nebraska Technical
Community College. The name of the College was
changed to Northeast Technical Community College
(NTCC) in July 1975. The NTCC campus was
annexed to the City of Norfolk in April
1977. In compliance with state
legislation adopted in August 1991,
the name was officially changed to
Northeast Community College.