Who should take the COMPASS test?
The COMPASS is administered to all full-time students, part-time students enrolled in six or more credit hours, and transfer students who have not successfully completed a college-level mathematics or English course. Students who have satisfactorily completed English Composition and a college-level math course or students who have received ACT/SAT scores within the past five years may be exempt. Students must submit official copies for the ASSET/COMPASS to be waived.
When may I take the COMPASS?
The assessments are offered on a daily basis. The test will begin 2½ hrs before the testing center closes for the day. Please call the testing center to schedule a testing appointment. Testing arrangements should be made in advance of starting your program/major.
Is the COMPASS timed?
The COMPASS is a comprehensive computer-adaptive test. The time required to complete the test varies according to individual’s needs and abilities.
When will I receive my test results?
You will receive your test scores immediately after completion of the test. A college representative will review your scores with you and explain how the scores relate to specific courses and programs you may be considering.
Is it possible to fail the assessment?
The COMPASS is not a pass/fail test. Your scores will identify your strengths and needs. The test scores are used for initial placement in English, reading, and math courses.
In what areas will I be evaluated?
You will be evaluated in the areas of reading, writing, pre-algebra/numerical skills and algebra skills. Following is a list of skills that may be included in each test subject.
- Basic grammar and usage
- Sentence Structure
- Rhetorical Skills
- Basic math Skills
- Ratios and proportions
- Algebraic equations
- Basic operations with polynomials
- Factoring polynomials
- Linear equation
- Exponents and radicals
What should I bring?
You should bring a current photo ID. No personal calculators are permitted. However, an online calculator is available for your use.
How much does it cost?
The COMPASS is provided free of charge for any student who has applied for admission to Northeast Community College. If you are planning to attend another college or institution or need to arrange a Remote COMPASS, Northeast Community College will assess a $15.00 fee.
- Arrive before your scheduled time.
- Bring your current photo ID and social security number.
- Leave your cell phone in your vehicle.
- Students with disabilities who are taking test and or plan to attend Northeast Community College may need reasonable accommodations, modifications, or auxiliary aids/assistive technology, in order to have equal access to programs and services offered. If you need accommodations, please contact the Disability Services Coordinator, at (402) 844-7343 or email@example.com. Documentation regarding your disability is required.
- No visitors are allowed during testing.
- Test taking tips for the COMPASS test are available at www.act.org/compass/.
- Brush up on your skills by visiting the following Internet websites:
- Current photo ID required for all testing.
- Scores are good for 5 years.
- You may take the COMPASS test twice during a semester. Retest fee is $10.00.