CLEP - College Level Examination Program
The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) is a series of examinations which allow students to show their knowledge in a wide range of subjects.
The purpose of CLEP is to provide a means for students to receive college credit for learning acquired outside the traditional college classroom.
CLEP examinations are 90 minutes in duration. (Exceptions: College Composition-120 minutes and College Composition Modular with essay-160 minutes)
All CLEP tests are offered by appointment. The student pays the $80.00 testing fee directly to CLEP. Also, the student will pay a non-refundable administration fee of $20.00 to Northeast.
If you have any questions regarding CLEP tests, please contact the Testing Center at (402) 844-7281. You can also e-mail CLEP email@example.com or
go to www.collegeboard.org.
- CLEP exam credits will be recorded as transfer credit on student’s transcript at the time the student enrolls at Northeast Community College.
- Northeast Community College only accepts CLEP subject examination scores; CLEP general examinations are not accepted.
- Official CLEP score reports should be sent to the Registrar’s Office at Northeast Community College. Students can request official score reports by contacting The College Board at www.collegeboard.com.
- CLEP credit may not be counted as part of the class load for financial aid purposes, or extracurricular scholarship eligibility.
- A student must successfully complete a minimum of 25% of the credit hours required for the degree, diploma, or certification at Northeast Community College.
- The maximum CLEP hours recorded on a Northeast Community College transcript is 24 credit hours.
- Northeast Community College has a list of recognized CLEP exam that it accepts for credit. It is the student’s responsibility to verify with Registrar’s Office that the exam s/he takes will apply to his/her program of study.
- Students are strongly encouraged to consult with an advisor prior to taking a CLEP exam.
- Every institution establishes its own policies regarding CLEP. If the student chooses to transfer to another institution, s/he should be aware of the CLEP requirement, minimum scores, and credit awarded for CLEP exams.
- Credits earned initially by passing a CLEP exam will be deducted from cumulative credit earned if a student subsequently enrolls in and completed a college-level course that is similar in content to the subject matter covered by the CLEP exam.
- Northeast Community College reserves the right to revise this policy without notice.
- Credits awarded for CLEP exams according to the policy in effect at the time of the CLEP transcript.
- Students can take two CLEP exams on any given exam date.
- Students may not repeat the same CLEP exam within three months of the initial
- CLEP has a standard passing score of 50 in all exams except in the foreign language exams. To receive 2 years of credit in Spanish you must score 63 or above or you must score 59 or above in French.
- All CLEP testing is computer-based. Students will receive unofficial CLEP transcript upon completion of the exam. (Exceptions: College Composition with essay and College Composition Modular with essay.)
- The student selects the CLEP exam. If student is unaware of which CLEP exam is needed, contact
their academic advisor or the registrar.
- The student must schedule an appointment to take the CLEP exam. Most CLEP exams are 90 minutes. (Exceptions: College Composition-120 minutes and College Composition Modular with essay-160 minutes)
- The student pays a $20.00 (nonrefundable) administration fee to Northeast Community College.
- 4. The CLEP $80.00 test fee is paid directly to CLEP through its
official CLEP website before the day
of the test. The student must create a user profile and pre-pay the $80.00 by
credit or debit card for the exam, CLEP website, My Account. After the student’s
account is completed, the student will print a non-refundable testing voucher
which is valid for 6 months. The student must bring the printed CLEP Voucher
Ticket to the Testing Center to test. The student must have current
government-issued identification with photo and signature. Also, the student
will pay a non-refundable administration fee of $20.00 to Northeast.
More Information about the CLEP process:
Day of Exam Requirements
Please bring the following:
No one will be allowed to test without a valid acceptable photo ID, CLEP Voucher, or registration ticket, and the receipt for the Northeast proctoring fee.
- A current government-issued photo ID with signature
- A valid registration ticket for each exam title from “My Account” registration portal
- A non-refundable $20.00 administration fee to Northeast
CLEP Testing at Northeast
- Any test that is listed in the CLEP brochure can be given.
- The CLEP exam is computer-based.
- Each exam is 90 minutes long.(Exceptions: College Composition-120 minutes and College Composition Modular with essay-160 minutes)
- Northeast accepts only the CLEP tests listed on the Northeast Community College requirement sheet (see Accepted CLEP tests at Northeast Community College).
- The cost of the CLEP exam is $80.00. The CLEP $80.00 test fee is paid directly
to CLEP through its official CLEP
website before the day of the test and a $20.00 Northeast Community College proctoring fee, for each test. Total cost per test is $100.00.
- It is strongly recommended that the student study from a textbook used in a college level class for the related subject to prepare for the CLEP exams. Also a CLEP study guide is helpful for taking practice tests.
- You need to make an appointment for CLEP testing. Call the telephone number below to register.
- To schedule a CLEP testing appointment, please contact the Northeast Testing Center, by telephone, 402-844-7281 or email, firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit the Testing Center located in the College Welcome Center, Room 1252.
All test results are immediate except for the exams which require an essay. (These test scores will take approximately 3-4 weeks to receive as CLEP grades the essay.)
Northeast recognizes the following CLEP examinations:
|Composition and Literature|
|American Literature||50|| 6 hours||ENGL 2150, 2160|
|Analysis & Interpretation of Literature||50||3 hours||HUMANITIES|
|College Composition Modular without Essay||50||3 Hours||ENGL 1010|
|College French, Level 1||50||4 hours||FRENCH 1200|
|College French, Level 2||59||8 hours||FRENCH 1200, 1210|
|College Spanish, Level 1||50||4 hours||SPANISH 1200|
|College Spanish, Level 2||63||8 hours||SPANISH 1200, 1210|
|Science and Math|
|College Algebra||50||3 hours||MATH 1150|
|Pre Calculus||50||3 hours||MATH 1150|
|Calculus||50||5 hours||MATH 2000|
|History and Social Sciences|
|American Government||50||3 hours||POLS 1000|
|History of the United States I|| 50||3 hours||HIST 2010|
|History of the United States II|| 50||3 hours||HIST 2020|
|Human Growth and Development||50||3 hours||PSYC 2200|
|Introduction to Psychology||50||3 hours||PSYC 1810|
|Introduction to Sociology||50||3 hours||SOCI 1010|
|Principles of Macroeconomics||50||3 hours||ECON 2110|
|Principles of Microeconomics||50||3 hours||ECON 2120|
|Western Civilization I|| 50||3 hours||HIST 1030|
|Western Civilization II|| 50||3 hours||HIST 1040|
|Information System and Computer Applications||50||3 hours||INFO 1010 or 1020|
|Introductory Business Law||50||3 hours||BSAD 2700|
|Principles of Management||50||3 hours||BSAD 2540|
|Principles of Marketing||50|| 3 hours||BSAD 2520|
Faculty need to complete a Request for Instructor's Test Form for each student.
The CLEP program has a policy that states that exam may not be retaken within a six-month period. If the candidate retakes the exam during this period, the administration is considered invalid, the score is cancelled, and exam fees are forfeited.
CLEP may waive this policy for exams retaken after a three-month period upon special written request from an institution.
Send appeals to:
P.O. BOX 6600
Princeton, NJ 08541-6600
Military service members whose exams are funded by the Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) may not repeat an examination of the same title within a 180 day period under any circumstance.
DSST will no longer fund retesting on a previously funded CLEP exam title. However, service members may personally fund a retest after waiting six months.
For more information, contact CLEP Services at 1-800-257-9558 or email@example.com.