Rules of Indoor Volleyball
- You will play best 2 out of 3 sets to 15 points with rally scoring, and you must win by 2 points unless score gets to 20 points then you can win by 1 point at 21.
- Game will be forfeited if there are not at least 5 players on the court within 5 minutes of scheduled time.
- Every player must show his or her current NECC Student ID before every game in order to play. Teams caught with players that are not NECC students will forfeit the game.
- You can only be on one team. If you are caught playing on two teams, both teams will forfeit their last games.
- Please arrive at least 10 minutes before your scheduled time to check in with the Intramural staff.
- Turn in roster by 5 pm on date due to be put on the schedule.
- Games will be played Monday or Tuesday evenings from 7-10 p.m. in the Cox Gym.
- Winners will receive t-shirts.
Playing the Game
- Service takes place from any position behind the backline boundary.
- The receiving team may only bump (forearm pass) or one-hand close fist a serve. That is, the receiving team may NOT set or block a serve.
- Once a volley starts, a team gets three hits to return the ball over the net. A block does not count as a hit.
- A player may not step on or over the "line" under the net. This is for everyone's protection.
- A player may not hit the ball twice in succession.
- Players may NOT touch the net with any part of their bodies.
Playing the Ball
- The ball must be allowed to break the plane of the net. A player may not go over the net to contact the ball on a block or hit.
- No "Carries."
- No two-handed spiking.
- Any ball that hits any part of the sidelines or end lines is IN.
- The ball may hit two players simultaneously, but it counts as two hits.
- When two opposing players commit fouls simultaneously, the point will be replayed.
- It will be Rally Scoring - meaning a point is awarded after every play.
- Let Serve- If a serve hits the net it is still in play.
- Unlimited substitution- when in-serve position.
- Coin toss to determine serving team – if it goes to a third set- coin toss will determine serving team.
- Decisions of the official of fact are final.
How to Sign Up
Signing up is easy. If you already have a team, then fill out the roster form and submit it to the Activities Office in the Student Center, room 212A. If you don't have a team but would like to sign up as a "free agent", then fill out our free agent application.