The steps below are intended to be a general resource for students interested in using VA benefits at Northeast. They are not intended to take the place of contacting the Registrar's office.
Student’s eligible for Chapter 31, who are using benefits from a parent or spouse will need to contact the Registrar's Office for specific information. Some of the steps below will not apply to you.
1. Determine your eligibility and chapter* – You will find helpful information on the VA website, eBenefits or by contacting the VA at 1-888-GI Bill 1. Students eligible for Chapter 31 or who are using benefits from a parent or spouse will need to contact the Registrar's Office for specific information. Some of the steps below will not apply to you.
2. Apply for Veterans Educational Benefits* through the VA website (VONAPP). You will need to know your chapter and have a copy of your DD214 (Member 4 Copy), your checking account and routing numbers and the start date of your classes. (The VA will refer to this as a “training date”.) Allow 4-6 weeks for processing. After your VONapp processing is complete, you should receive a Letter of Eligibility from the VA. When this comes, please provide the Registrar's Office with a copy.
3. Provide the Registrar's Office with a copy of your VONapp. We will need a copy with your original signature; however, we will not need any other signatures.
4. If you plan to use Tuition Assistance, visit with your unit about how to begin this process.
5. Apply for admission to Northeast.
6. Provide the Registrar's office with a copy of your DD214 (Member 4 copy - noted in the lower right hand corner)
7. Request an official copy of your military transcripts be sent to Northeast Community College. These must come directly to our office from the military portal or through the US Mail.
8. Request an official transcript from any previous colleges you have attended. We will need an official transcript regardless of your graduation status or your success in the courses for which you enrolled. If you enrolled, we need a transcript. See your specific college website for instructions on how to request an official transcript.
Request transcripts be sent to this address:
Northeast Community College
P.O. Box 469
801 East Benjamin Ave.
Norfolk, NE 68701
9. Visit with an advisor – Contact our Admissions Department to schedule an appointment, 402.844.7260 or stop by the Admissions Department in the College Welcome Center.
10. Register for classes.
11. Request the Registrar’s Office review and certify your coursework.
12. If you are Chapter 1606, 1607, or 30 remember to verify your school attendance each month (WAVE).
Certification by the Northeast Community College School Certifying Official is no guarantee of benefit payment to you or the school. The Department of Veterans Affairs makes all financial and eligibility determinations.
*You will need to know the Chapter of benefits for which you are eligible when you complete the VONapp.